There are a few different things you can do to take your home to the next level and add some greenery to those empty spaces. First, evaluate the space that would look better with more green. Consider the climate you live in and choose plants that can survive those environments. Here are our top 5 plants that you need for your Destin apartment.
- Aloe Vera Plants are easy to grow and take care of no matter the climate. Aloe Vera is known as a succulent plant, meaning it stores water in its leaves and stems. This plant needs very little water and can last years even in a dry environment. Aloe Vera, like cacti, requires dry soil which replicates their natural environment. Once your succulent is planted, spread pebbles over the soil. This helps keep the right amount of moisture in. Not only can you use this plant to brighten up your home, but you can also use it to heal wounds, sunburn, and different skin conditions.
- Cannas, also known as canna lilies, are large plants that add tropical texture to any garden, whether they are planted outside or indoors. These plants are very colorful and can grow fast in cool climates. In warmer climates, they can be left alone to create dense stands for the flowers that bloom through the summer. Cannas can grow up to 8 feet tall and up to 6 feet wide, although there is a wide variation in size among the Cannas plant. Some Cannas plants can grow to be only 2 feet tall, which is perfect for an apartment. More recently the cannas have become more colorful. The foliage colors and patterns now show blue-green, striped burgundy and gold, and cream-splashed greens. Cannas plants are mostly grown near or even in the water due to the fact that they need a lot of water to survive, especially in warmer climates.
- The Snake Plant gets its name from the thin, upright leaves with “irregular banding” that looks like snakeskin. Besides the fact that they look cool, they are super low maintenance and can survive a drought. Although this plant prefers bright light it can survive in lower light levels as well. This is especially great for the planthood newbies. The Snake Plant exchanges oxygen and carbon dioxide using their own metabolism process, which allows the plant to survive a drought.
- Bamboo Palm is a great plant to have if you want to add a tropical feel to your house. This plant prefers natural light but it can do well in dim light if it gets enough water. However, be sure that it isn’t overwatered, wait until the soil on top is dry before you water it again. The Bamboo Plant likes humidity, so keep it on a tray of pebbles covered in water.
- Zeezee Plant is best known as a house plant in the north, but it can be grown in Florida. The leaves of this plant can grow up to four feet tall and three feet wide. This plant grows slowly and attracts no pests, but can be poisonous to any animal if eaten. It also requires little to no water and low-light conditions.
The right houseplant can add so much beauty to your apartment and healthier air. Don’t worry if you have never had a plant before, because these mentioned above are easy to care for and so beautiful. Start with one and add one every now and then to add to your loving Destin apartment.